[optimal] Re: 3D printed eye cells

  • From: Peterson John C <JPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:16:50 +0000

The paper demonstrates that living glial and retinal cells from rats can
survive the micro-violence of being injected through piezo-electric inkjets.
This opens the possibility of laying down retinal cells in distinct
three-dimensional patterns, to facilitate grafting of healthy tissue into the
living eye.

As an aside, 2D printing of living cells was first demonstrated in 2005. The 3D
component raises the bar significantly.

Cool, cool stuff! Now we will all want 3D printers in our stockings!

-jcp