survey update May 3

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 02:44:24 -0400 (EDT)

I received a few of the current Optacon User survey today. I've also
posted about the progress with donated Optacons and Optacon repairers.
Still looking for a lister to write the new survey for Optacon repairers
so we have the same information for each one re pricing, repairs provided,
and area (countries) served.
INTERESTING SUGGESTION FROM A RESPONDENT:
She had once typed a business letter and then proof-read it with the
Optacon. Only later did she find out the whole thing had come out in red
rather than black. The suggestion is to make it possible for the Optacon
to detect the colors of print.
I think the Optacon may already do this. It's just that we never troubled
to figure out its messages. The Optacon will not read certain colors of
print at all. Some colors can be read if the invert switch is used. The
other issue is that we never charted the effects of various colors of
paper. Example: Stark black print on pure white paper should provide a lot
of contrast and be easy to read. What happens to stark black on various
colors of paper such as off-white, pink, orange, grey, and light blue?
Conversely, as the colors of ink change from stark black to the myriad
shades available today, what happens to the tactile contrast with each
color of paper?
The person who reads for me is a long-time fan of the Optacon and she has
explained at times why I can't read something because of the color
combination of the paper and the ink. Has anybody ever charted this? It
might have implications for the sifferent types of modern displays and
appliances that we wish to read. A special lens that reads one particular
color and background combination that is not readable now, might make some
displays accessible.
TWO MORE USER IDEAS:
Another respondent used her Optacon to Braille storybooks when her child
was young. She brailled directly on the books turning them into a type of
read-along for her and her child. Another option is to Braille a separate
copy of the words in a book with appropriate page information so that you
and your child can read a book with a lot of words in it and not be in
each other's way.
The last use is actually a wish. I was searching through some old list
messages from a few years ago. We had a discussion of a camera accessory
that would be tiny enough to go into the tight spaces such as are on
circuit boards, appliance switches and remote controls.
ONE AMUSING USE OF THE OPTACON
In another old message, a lister described races he has with students he
tutors in reading. Why can figure out what a word is faster--the poor
reader or the Optacon user? The kids loved it and they learned never to
touch the Optacon but they could help the lister find his place by showing
where the camera should be.
THAT'S IT FOR TODAY.
Catherine