list history

  • From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 09:45:56 -0700

Hi Harry and all,

I changed the subject line to be more in line with what we're talking about.

This list officially got off the ground on July 27, 2004.

Prior to that, there was a list on one of the freedomscientific servers, but it
was poorly maintained and apparently no moderator watching it.

There was considerable dissatisfaction among lisg some of the list members with
that arrangement so this is how this particular list got started.

We started by porting those members of the old list who wished to continue with
an Optacon list directly to this one.

Prior to the freedomscientific list, the list was maintained by Dean Blazie and
company but it was moved to freedom when they acquired Blazie or at least
shortly thereafter.

When we started, we began with approximately 65 members brought over from the
fs list.  Now, as of this morning, May 9, 2006, we have a grand total of
127 members.  And, I know of at least a couple who are currently not subscribed
due to their being on vacation.

Not bad at all for a user list dealing with a device that hasn't been
manufactured at all for about 13 years or so.

It still remains to be seen as to whether sufficient interest exists
to justify investment in developing a new product, but there clearly is a
market for Optacon repair and refurbishing for the current users and owners of
units.

At the very least, most of us should be able to keep our current Optacons
functional for a long time to come; certainly a brighter future than appeared
to be
the case just a few months ago.

Don