Survey Update 11/12/06

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 01:09:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi, everyone,
Recently, we haven't received much in the way of surveys but we are still
continuing to re-unite people with Optacons. This week we received an
email from a company called easy to see products, stating that they had a
customer with an Optacon in need of repair. The customer did not have
email. We established contact between the customer and Oehm Electronics.
Today I received an email from a person who had bought an Optacon in the
70's for a relative but never really used it. Hopefully this Optacon will
be donated.
In a third case, a person with three Optacons (two needing repair) was
thrilled to know that repairs could be made.
I also accidentally located a person in Canada who brokers various
blindness-related equipment and stopped him from junking Optacons. I hate
to think how many he may have junked in the past. I did not ask.
Also, as you saw yesterday, an Optacon was posted for sale.
If any of our recent list members did not complete our survey, please
write and I'll send you one.
UNIQUE OPTACON USES
Recently, I had a lot of Braille material to mail. I used the Optacon to
recycle a number of large envelopes from Braille magazines. The Optacon
helped to make sure that all previous addresses had been covered, that the
FREE MATTER FOR THE BLIND indication was legible, and, that there was no
extra writing on the envelopes which needed to be crossed out or covered
over with blank labels. It may not seem like much, but those magazine
envelopes are expensive and it was nice to re-use a large number of them.
So the Optacon helps with recycling and also in any situation where
precision--the need to find an exact location--is crucial.
With the various holidays coming up, I don't expect too much Optacon
activity. I could be wrong.
A NEW LEVEL OF CONTACT
If you know anyone who repairs and/or sells anytype of blindness-related
equipment, be sure to altert them not to throw away Optacons and to let us
know if they find any. If people want money for them, we can deal with it
case by case but encourage them to donate. If you receive any
product-related newsletters that are willing to take off-topic
contributions, please let them know of our search for Optacons.
OUR WORK SINCE APRIL
I think the members of this user group would enjoy knowing how many people
have benefited directly from our preservation work so far. If you are on
this list and/or had your Optacons repaired as a direct result of our
preservation efforts, please let us know by replying to the list or
writing to me off-list. I will compile any results I receive and let you
all know in a few days.
KEEP THOSE CARDS AND LETTERS COMING!
Catherine