Re: Optacon repairs

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:51:00 EDT

Okay, I'll post it now. I don't know if this list has archives but I can
always post it later if necessary. Here's the e-mail from Mr. Oehm to me.
Subj:Re: Optacon repair
Date:12/10/2002 10:38:52 AM Mountain Standard Time
From:oehmelec@xxxxxxx
To:Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi Gail,
Thank you for your inquiry.  We do repair Optacons.  We can evaluate
problems with your units and
provide
you with estimated costs for repairs to these units.  We charge $65.00
to evaluate and provide you with a repair estimate on an Optacon.  This
$65.00 charge for a repair estimate does not include the cost of
returning the Optacon to you.  If you decide to have us perform the
needed repairs to one or more of your Optacons, the $65.00 repair
estimate charge will be waived.  When repairs are needed for an Optacon
or related product such as a
battery charger and or lens module are repair prices are $65.00 per hour
plus the costs of any replaced components.  If the only work that needs
to be done to your Optacon is battery replacement, we charge a flat
$95.00 for that service.  This $95.00 battery replacement charge does
not include the cost of shipping the Optacon back to you.
Typically, Optacon repairs tend to cost between $100.00 and $300.00.
We can give you a repair estimate within a few days after we receive
your Optacon.  Most Optacon repairs take between 2 and 4 weeks to
complete depending
largely upon the parts needed to complete the task.  As you probably
know, the
Optacon and related products are no longer manufactured and some of the
parts in the Optacon were proprietary meaning that they were
manufactured by TSI specifically for the Optacon.  Array modules, lens
module parts and retina module parts are examples of these proprietary
items.  Unfortunately, new unused versions of these components are not
currently available.  If an Optacon repair requires one of these
proprietary
components to complete the repair we use used working components that we
salvage from surplus Optacons.  These used components are guaranteed for
at least 90 days from the date that we make repairs and
are thoroughly tested  by us before installation into an Optacon to
insure that they meet all original manufacturers specifications.  The
cost for these special used proprietary components is prorated and
depends on what we had to pay for the surplus Optacon used to supply
them.  Of course, the majority of the parts used in Optacons are
standard components and these are available from many vendors so if a
nonproprietary component is used in an Optacon repair we use a brand new
part.  This is the case with most parts for the Optacon including the
Optacon battery.  You
can pay for
Optacon repairs with a check, money order or a credit card.  We accept
Visa, Mastercard or American Express cards.  We will expect payment when
we're ready to ship your repaired Optacon back to you.  To have your
Optacons repaired, ship your Optacons to: Oehm
Electronics 2194C Galveston Avenue San Jose, California 95122-3617.  If
you like you can contact us by telephone at (408) 971-6250.  When you
ship us an Optacon please include a note or letter that tells us how
you would like to be contacted in regards to the Optacon repair service
and be sure to include your return address where you'd like your
equipment returned when repairs are completed.  This note or letter can
be in any
format you choose print, braille, audio tape or computer disk.
If you have any additional questions or need more information, feel free
to contact me.  Take care.  We'll look forward to being of service to
you soon.
                  Very Cordially Yours,
                  Richard Oehm

Please note that these prices are a lot cheaper than what TSI and Blazie used
to charge. And $95 for battery replacement beats any other repair charge I
ever saw. This is what I had done and my total bill was something around $130.
That's because I had it returned FedEx.

GailRichard Oehm    E-mail: oehmelec@xxxxxxx

To unsubscribe at eny time, just send a message to: