[optacon-l] Optacon Survey Update

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 06:42:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, everyone,
As you know from recent posts, Optacon users interested in information are
beginning to find our list. If any new members have not completed our user
survey, it will be posted at the bottom of this message. The survey is
designed to find out how the Optacon is being used in today's world of
computers and scanners. Thank you to all those who have replied to the
survey from the individual emails that I send.

OPTACON REPAIRS

Apparently there are still people who don't know that Optacons can be
repaired and that unused and non-working Optacons can be refurbished and
put back into the hands of active users. We have repairers in the U.S.,
England, Australia, and Canada. If you mention the Optacon to some of your
blind acquaintances or to people in the rehab field, you will be surprised
to learn how many people want more information or know of Optacons to
donate.

EXPLORE THE ARCHIVES
Our list archives contains thousands of messages by now on all kinds of
Optacon-related topics. Learn more about reading everything from
hand-writing to cands and boxes, to diagrams, to print music. Read
interesting biographic stories of how the Optacon over the years helped
people get and keep jobs.
www.freelists.org/archives/optacon-l

DOCUMENTS AND ACCESSORIES

If anyone needs a special lens such as a CRT lens or typewriter lens, just
ask. If anyone needs an electronic copy of an Optacon Owner's Manual we
have those too. In additon we have available tip sheets on Signing
Documents Using the Optacon, and Using the Optacon to Make a Scanner More
Efficient. If you want any of these, just ask, on or off-list.

Freedom Scientific has on its website the original training manual for the
Optacon. This document is not meant to be read electronically. It's meant
to be printed out on an inkprinter and used for practice. Our thanks once
again to the Optacon user who arranged to make this available.

OUTREACH

Our list members have been working actively for the past few years to
preserve the Optacon. Articles and posts have appeared in many newsletters
and blindness-related magazines. Several podcasts and other video mentions
have appeared on internet radio programs. Although many have become more
Optacon-aware as a result of our efforts, we still have a long way to go.
So keep up those posts. It may be time to re-post to some of the more
famous blindness-related publications. Not sure what to say? We have a
hand-out which is less than a page. I'll post that in another message.

SURVEYS
We have approximately 200 Optacon User Surveys which is amazing for a
device which has not been manufactured in at least fifteen years.

SURVEY AS PROMISED

Here is our Optacon User Survey.