[optacon-l] Looking things up, was: Re: Introduction

  • From: "Nicola Sanders \(Telenet\)" <nicola.sanders@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:22:50 +0200

Peggy, you're right, that's certainly been my experience when it comes to
looking things up in books.  Back in the eighties I studied French, German and
some Spanish at university in the UK.  I took a modern, practical type of
course which was mostly based on printed handouts, often in the form of poor
quality photocopies from newspapers, and hardly any of the material was
available in braille or on tape.  Modern, unabridged language dictionaries were
essential and I used the Optacon all the time to look up new words.  It was
slow, but I got quicker at it because I had to.  I also used the Optacon to
read the printed handouts and copy them into braille using my Perkins.  How
times have changed!  I don't think I could have completed that course without
the Optacon, and I may not have gone on to have my current career as a
conference interpreter.  Long live the Optacon!

Nicky