[optacon-l] Re: Introduction

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:46:45 -0500

It is a misrepresentation of the current state-of-the-art with respect to
blindness-oriented OCR applications based upon ignorance, or, an outright
prevarication at worst to claim that Blind and Visually Impaired individuals
can't utilize OCR to accomplish such tasks with the current and last few
iterations of software.... It is a disservice to the community to make such
categorical statements...  Please check out the capabilities of Kurzweil
1000 and recalibrate your presuppositions...  It may not be perfect and
capable of handling every form thrown at it, but what piece of technology
ever performs beyond the capabilities of it's designers?

Nick

Nick