Donated Optacons open up new choices

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 04:54:35 -0400 (EDT)

As the Optacon corpses pile up and can be made available to various
repairers, new choices suddenly exist for Optacon users. These choices
might result in even more donated Optacons.
TRADE-INS
Up to this point, a user's only choice was to have a given broken Optacon
repaired. As all of us know, certain repairs such as to the tactile array
could cost quite a bit and sometimes made the repair financially
impossible. But think of this positive from our two-week project. If
enough corpses are available you could send in your badly damaged Optacon
to be used for parts and instead pay the repair bil on a different Optacon
that is less damaged. This means that all those backup Optacons that only
half work can in fact be sent in for repairs without forcing a user to go
bankrupt. I had not thought of it before but it is possible that this is
one of the most positive of the outcomes of our project so far. Along the
same line, if a user wants an Optacon repaired that needs an array for
example, instead of performing the repair which is costly and
time-consuming, it might be possible to replace the array instead. Les
cost, less time and labor, everybody wins.
Special thanks to anyone who in any way arranged for an Optacon to be
donated.
Also, now that it is possible to create brand-new retina cables it is
going to be possible to bring many more Optacons back to full strength
operation.
Ao far, of all the positive outcomes of the Optacon preservation project,
I think this is the best. What do you all think.
Catherine