[optacon-l] Re: A question

  • From: "Marie Rudys" <mrudys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 03:42:59 -0700

That's the trouble; if he is sighted, then he cannot possibly understand
that.  That would frustrate me, too.  No scanner, however good it can be,
can possibly take the place of the Optacon; it is portable, you can carry it
with you if you wish, camera adjustment is flexible.  Need I say more?  I
don't mean to come off as sounding harsh, but and I say this: I wish someone
would design a smaller Optacon with a longer-life battery.  Oh, perhaps it
is just asking too much.  Maybe I am crazy to dream a dream that might not
come true anyway.  You are right about the R1D; I guess I shouldn't knock it
since that is the only model I have hands-on over the years since I started
in 1994.  I am grateful we have anyone who repairs them today; too many good
things have been rendered obsolete and I miss the older equipment.  Call me
Rip van Winkle if you want to, but think about it, anyway.  I miss things
like reel to reel tapes and high quality cassettes that do not go downhill
in a flash, and quality equipment that lasted and lasted.  What a crime the
world we live in when people on fixed incomes cannot afford to repair those
things anymore and keep them going.  I am loaded with broken stuff I hate to
throw out into the trash.  My lament, and I apologize for that, but I cannot
help it.  I hope the Optacon never goes that way, but you just don't know
how long anyone might be around and that's the thing, isn't it?

Marie