[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_Re:_Bad_news_for_cord_cutters:_ABC_start? =?utf-8?Q?s_restricting_access_to_full_TV_show_episodes_? =?utf-8?Q?—_Tech_News_and_Analysis?Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 18:28:53 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Apr 15, 2014, at 6:03 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Sorry to be so blunt, but how many times in just the last few days have I
> written that Fox and ABC impose an 8-day delay for FOTI access to their prime
> time shows? ABC started this policy last season, and Fox I think it was 3
> years ago. Do you not read?

Sorry Bert. We've been so busy arguing about CBS that I must have missed this...

> Notice that authentication is NOT JUST with an MVPD account. In fact, not all
> MVPD accounts work. This is also something I've repeated countless times.
> This is an important trend, Craig. The congloms ARE NOT insisting on just the
> MVPD model, as you continue to believe.

Yup. A trend I've been telling you about for many months now. You are correct;
the authentication is selective because the content owners negotiate this
individually with every MVPD, and with every smart TV manufacturer, and with
every device maker that hooks up to a TV. I did learn something, however. I did
not know that Hulu requires MVPD authentication - perhaps this is only related
to accessing the shows while they are hot.

> Also notice that this is absolutely no big deal for cord cutters. These shows
> are hardly time-critical. A one-week wait is no big deal, when you're
> watching on demand.

It seems to be a huge deal for you. I guess you are more deserving than the
masses, since you use a PC.

I can't argue with that.