[opendtv] Re: releases: broadcasting to mobile handsets

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:08:41 -0500

> billion mobile phone and handset users worldwide. MobiTV offers many
> popular TV channels including MSNBC, ABC News Now, NBC Mobile, CNBC,
> FOX Sports, The Discovery Channel, TLC, Comedy Time, California Music
> Channel, and many more. The service is currently available to Sprint
> PCS Vision(SM) customers and to Cingular Wireless (former AT&T
> Wireless) subscribers. MobiTV is the newest television distribution
> medium since satellite TV. Through MobiTV, viewers can watch unlimited
> amounts of popular news, sports and entertainment programming
> anywhere, anytime - all for less than $10 per month.

I foresee the birth of a new dotcom-esque era, complete with market
crash as the final straw.

We tried one of the Sprint 'cell TV' services a few weeks ago (not sure
if it was MobiTV) - the Java app took about 2 minutes to load itself,
and after that we were treated to what sounded like 6Khz audio paired
with 1 frame of video every 5 seconds. And yes, this was with full
signal strength.

Cheers
Kon