[opendtv] Re: dailyherald.com: Fox eyes digital options to counter fraying cable tv bundle

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 01:54:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141108/business/141108775/

> I have highlighted several of Chase Carey's comments:

> The traditional cable TV bundle "is fraying at the edge" as millennials face
> economic pressure and watch more online, Carey said after Fox posted
> first-quarter sales and profit that beat analysts' estimates. Even as Fox
> plots ways to reach consumers on smartphones and tablets, pay TV will remain
> "the primary consumer package for years ago come," he said.

Change won't happen overnight, so that's not all that telling. However, as
others have said, it won't take a huge change the number of MVPD subscribers to
create huge changes in delivery options. "For years to come" is one of those
vague phrases that ends up meaning little. We were also told that Kodak film
would be available for "years to come," when digital photography was in its
infancy. They are just appeasing the nervous, is all.

> About 15 million U.S. TV households don't subscribe to pay television.

More importantly, about 22 million households do not subscribe to "the bundle,"
right about now. Some of those supposed MVPD households are now cord shavers.
We already estimated that 80.9 percent or so still subscribe to "the bundle."

> "The key challenge for us is to build these choices in ways that fairly
> compensate us for our content and brands, and do not undermine more
> established business models," Carey said.

As my daughter said when she was just learning to speak, "Oh sure, you would
say that."

Of course, it goes without saying, the supply side wants to stay as profitable
as possible. But the demand side is what keeps this in balance, Craig. Simply
put, the demand side sees opportunities that did not exist before, with the
Internet, and they are reining in the supply side. It doesn't matter what the
supply side claims they prefer. We all know what they prefer.