[opendtv] Re: Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)2004 March 31

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:42:15 -0500

If the local station carried it NBC non-exclusively for free then they
  would effectively be bidding against NBC for retrans consent in
dealing with the local cable company.  The cable company might prefer
to carry the local but only if the terms were good.

And a couple year later when the contracts expired and NBC already had
a deal with cable then I wonder if the non-exclusive carriage would
still be free?

This might put an increasing squeeze on the non-O&O network
affiliates.  Some might ending up dropping back to must-carry.

Is that good or bad?  And, as Bert says, for whom?

- Tom

PS - On the Topica list I had to do a reply-all and then delete the
extra names to avoid duplicate posts.  On Freelist just a reply gets
me the list address.  Neeto!