[opendtv] Wireless and TV sectors in uneasy truce on spectrum inventory

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:17:49 -0600

Considering who the people are who are working themselves up in a frenzy over
this, I see their credibility as no better than the folks in Copenhagen, who
think that reducing human emission of CO2 will change the weather. This is the
usual suspects who stand to benefit from grabbing spectrum belonging to others,
and the FCC playing a political game. How very annoying.

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/article.asp?article_id=2298

Wireless and TV sectors in uneasy truce on spectrum inventory
By CAROLINE GABRIEL

Published: 17 December, 2009

The US administration knows it needs to free up more spectrum if it is to
achieve its universal broadband goals, which will rely heavily on wireless in
some areas, and if it is to stimulate competition and new services in mobile
applications. One of the key opponents of letting the wireless industry have
its head in the airwaves is the broadcast industry, which will have to
relinquish some of the spectrum, and the two sides are facing one another in
Congress this week.

An important congressional subcommittee is examining what new FCC chief Julius
Genachowski has called a spectrum crisis, and the CTIA, which represents the
cellular industry, has its own ideas on how to address this. Testifying on
Tuesday, CTIA president Steve Largent reiterated fears that, even though the
wireless industry was among the most efficient in its use of spectrum, it would
still see consumer demand outrunning available capacity - especially with yet
more new loads on the networks, from mobile healthcare to smart grids.

"With more than 276m subscribers in the US, it is vital for our industry to
secure at least 800MHz of additional spectrum within the next six years," he
said. "Spectrum is our industry's backbone and it is what allows us to continue
to innovate and create new apps, products and services. Without this additional
spectrum, our industry will cease to provide US consumers with the most
innovative and most competitive wireless offerings in the world," his statement
went on.

The CTIA is supporting House Resolution 3125, the Radio Spectrum Inventory Act,
which would allow for a complete inventory of spectrum and how it is being
used, as well as detailing spectrum that is available for allocation in the
future. "We need to pass HR 3125 so we can have a properly constructed
inventory to see what spectrum is available," Largent argued, adding it would
"reduce the risks for auction participants by increasing the amount and quality
of information available to bidders and federal agencies before an auction of
federally encumbered spectrum."

Broadcasters were hitting out at CTIA claims that some of the new spectrum
could come from their community, and even questioned whether the spectrum
crisis is a myth. "There is no shortage of wireless spectrum in this country,"
said John Hane, counsel at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, which represents
the TV sector. "There is a lot of spectrum already available that could be used
more efficiently."

That position at least means the broadcasters would also support an inventory.
"That is why we need these bills to take an inventory of what is currently
being used," Hane added, speaking for the National Association of Broadcasters.
NAB argues that Congress must look at all spectrum holders to ensure they are
using their spectrum efficiently rather than singling out one industry. The
Association also supports another bill in the House, called the Spectrum
Relocation Improvement Act, which would streamline the process for federal
agencies to turn over unused spectrum so it can be auctioned to bidders in the
private sector.