[opendtv] Re: Will Femtocells Save LTE?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:27:34 -0400

At 5:00 PM -0400 4/27/11, Mark A. Aitken wrote:
40% of AT&T data traffic (this was as of Dec, 2010) was consumed by 3% of their iPhone users. Data is consumed unknowingly. Ralph de la Vega, who runs the wireless and consumer arms of the company, told investors... "What we actually found out is customers didn't know how they were using data," he told the Wall Street Journal. "But once you alerted them to it, they actually reduce their consumption significantly." I reckon this as similar to folks at a buffet "eat all you want for one low price". Ever wonder why obesity is a problem in the US???

1/2 half of the traffic was...get this...streaming audio! What happened to radio? (I know, choose...don't go there). This is no different (in practice) that people 'getting a clue', like the folks who try to email 100MB files and then wonder "Why didn't that get to Aunt Ruth?"

Has anyone got an education campaign lined up? Or is it just a matter of tightening the belt and charging for what you use??? It's all about consumption...be it data or be it food!

I think that part of the problem is that we have educated people to expect broadband to be an "always on" service with flat rate pricing. The initial unlimited data plans for the iPhone built upon this expectation.

When we changed data plans for the 4 iPhones on our contract I had to do some education to keep my son and daughter for blowing the data caps.

My daughter was using 3G data at home because she somehow disabled the WiFi function on her phone. My son was updating all of his apps via 3G while at work.

Seems that the best solution is the one many are complaining about - data caps will encourage more efficient behavior.