[opendtv] Re: Will DVD recorders succeed despite user interface problems?

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:35:47 -0500

Put < > around it and it should pass...

<http://www.digitaltvdesignline.com/howto/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174909729>

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>I'm sure the URL will get hopelessly trashed. There are two equals
>signs in it, and it's way too long. But I copied the entire
>article.
>
>My Philips DVDR works very well, overall. It suffered from some
>PC-like firmware glitches early on, but the firmware updates seem
>to have cured those problems. Actually, it was one of the early
>updates of the firmware that caused some strange glitches, not
>the original load.
>
>IMO the biggest problems are not the recorder or the software,
>which is very easy to use in my case. I see the problems being
>first that consumers aren't told what these devices do. Everyone
>knew that VCRs were great for time shifting. For unexplained
>reasons, this obvious function of DVDRs is hidden from the
>buyer. It's a secret that there's a TV tuner built in, even if
>all are analog only, as far as I can tell.
>
>Another problem is occasional copy protection by broadcasters,
>which I still can't tell if it's intentional or not. NBC says
>unintentional. This might be why some people think they aren't
>reliable.
>
>Another possible issue, especially among those who pride
>themselves in their inability to program a VCR, is that no
>one seems to publish VCR+ codes anymore. So you have to enter
>the info manually. Turns out that takes no longer than entering
>a weird code anyway.
>
>A DVDR with good 5th gen ATSC receiver built in would make a
>great STB, even if the DVDs can't record true HD.
>
>Bert
>
>------------------------------------
>http://www.digitaltvdesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?printableArticle=3Dt=
>ue&articleId=3D174909729
>
>November 30, 2005
>
>Will DVD recorders succeed despite user interface problems?
>
>By John Barber
>
>Chinese manufacturers are pulling no punches with price drops
>for DVD recorders. Recent drops from Wal-Mart's private label
>brand "iLo" (actually manufactured by EastTech) to $99 are an
>indication that the DVD recorder market is finally in the
>position to take significant share away from DVD players.
>However, previous lackluster sales of DVD recorders in the
>market due to an unintuitive user interface highlight a
>significant issue that could create barriers to this volume
>potential. Most U.S. consumers are familiar with drastic
>price drops in consumer products. One of the main factors in
>this drop is the aggressive integration of semiconductor
>intellectual property into a single piece of silicon, or
>system on chip (SOC), reducing the amount of overall silicon
>and, hence, total cost of the product.
>
>This integration has, however, contributed to a significant
>challenge for Chinese contract manufacturers who are
>competing with low-cost DVD recordable platforms. As the
>hardware complexity and level of integration of SOC devices
>and application-specific standard products (ASSPs) has
> [...]

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

If mankind were to resolve to agree
in no institution of government,
until every part of it had been
adjusted to the most exact standard
of perfection, society would soon
become a general scene of anarchy,
and the world a desert.

~ ~ ~ Alexander Hamilton ~ ~ ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.