[opendtv] Re: WiFi Grows Beyond Cellular Shadow | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:44:23 -0400

Bert wrote:

> That's so odd. So, all of these millions of households and businesses are
> getting free broadband, in your mind?

Hell no. They are paying for wired broadband from the cable company. These WIFi
hot spots are not free, unless the business that hosts them wants them to be
free.

I have access to tons of AT&T hot spots because I am an AT&T cellular data
subscriber. I have access to the hot spots that Cox Communications is deploying
because I am a Cox broadband subscriber. I have Access to Watch ESPN on WiFi
networks because I an a Cox extended basic subscriber...

Are you beginning to see the pattern here Bert?

The WiFi first initiatives are designed to do two things:

1. Move the data traffic to the wired infrastructure if possible, to reduce
load on the wireless data networks

2. Enhance the perceived value of the service you are paying for.

Recall that some of the cable MVPDs bought spectrum to deploy cellular
voice/data networks to compete with the telcos. They are now selling this
spectrum. They are deploying millions of WiFi hot spots to compete with the
telcos, as VOIP will soon replace the voice portion of the telco networks. At
the same time, the device makers are rolling out VOIP capabilities that improve
the fidelity of the voice connection, and can move seamlessly from WiFi to LTE
as needed.

> The point I'm making is that whatever ubiquitous WiFi service infrastructure
> is deployed, SOMEONE will be paying for this backhaul network, very much like
> individual households and businesses are paying for their backhaul
> connections (broadband service) today.

Exactly!

Just as people who are paying for the extended basic bundle are gaining mobile
access to this content via authenticated OTT services.

It's all part of the master plan Bert.

> Again, as the OTA RF part of the journey is reduced, the cabled part is
> increased. If this ubiquitous WiFi actually gets used, it will drive up the
> traffic on the backhaul nets, requiring ISP net upgrades.

It is ALREADY being used extensively Bert. Why do you think people go to
Starbucks and Panera to drink coffee and work on their computers and mobile
screens. Why do you think most people are content to buy tablets WITHOUT
cellular radios.

I can now use the cellular data from my iPhone to create a hot spot for my
tablet when I cannot get WiFi, and I can now take cellular calls on my computer
and tablet if they are in the proximity of my iPhone.

Most of this stuff is now noise level in terms of the data consumed. The area
where the wired networks continue to muscle up is handling video streams. The
telcos still sell mostly metered data - not good for video. The cable guys know
that they can use WiFi to keep most of the mobile devices their subscribers own
connected.

> You're sounding a bit like during the early days of WiFi, when many pundits
> thought this was the era of free Internet service, because they had somehow
> missed that the "free" WiFi depended on some soul leaving his WiFi
> unencrypted, and paying the bill to his telco.

Not Free. Just an extension of a service you are already paying for.