[opendtv] Re: Why outdoor antennas don't always work well

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:11:28 -0500

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

> Hello,
> Sometimes you hear that the success rate of DVB-T
> reception on outdoor antenna's is not 100% either.
> This web-site might explain why:
>
> http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgalleryview.html
>
> This is what you get when amateurs pose as
> professionals........

The sad fact is, "professional" only means the guy
does a job for a living. It doesn't mean he has a
slightest clue of the underlying physics, be that
the mechanical or electromagnetic principles involved
in his chosen profession. Examples of lack of
appreciation of both types of physics were evident.

I especially liked the vertically-oriented circular
(omni) folded dipole. What a concept!

It appears that many TV towers in the UK use vertical
polarization? Or maybe the pictures were taken in
mountainous regions?

Hey Jeroen, are you spreading FUD about OTA radio and
TV? You've sent horror photos from the transmitting
tower and the receiving antenna ends of the link.
Next thing you'll be doing is sending horror stories
about the effects of EM radiation from TV and radio
towers on all living beings inbetween!