[opendtv] Why?

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:57:31 -0800

Rather than going on whining about receiver issues (at home in TJ, my b2c2 card
picks up San Diego DTV stations with about 15-21 SNR, but not the one in TJ; at
my mother's house, my b2c2 picks up the TJ DTV station with 15 db SNR, but not
the San Diego ones.  The TJ station is less than 3 miles from my home; most of
the San Diego DTV stations are less than 5 miles clear line of sight from mom's
home.)
So, rather than whining, I would like to know from people who were there (this
is not a speculative issue);

Why, when the specs were adopted, there were no (and still are no):

ATSC reference bit streams;
ATSC receiver specifications (there are only recommendations now);
Exemplars of bad bit streams (I have recently acquired some "off the air" as
pertains to PSIP).

Was the issue anti-trust/restraint of trade?  Or were there more nefarious
matters afoot?  It seems to me that the current state amounts to a restraint of
trade just by itself.