[opendtv] Re: What's next for DVD? Blu-ray and HD-DVD battle for your home theater

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:52:55 +0200

Hello,

See: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050628_134730.html

Will Xbox 360, PS3 determine the victor in the Blu-ray - HD DVD dispute?

Oops, "HD DVD" without a hyphen...

By Scott Fulton
June 28, 2005 - 13:47 EST

Tokyo - Yesterday's announcement by Microsoft and Toshiba officially
extending their alliance to include joint production of an extension to
Toshiba's HD DVD format, may have set the stage for a stalemate in the
ongoing battle to produce the next high-definition video disc format,
analysts are saying.
In a joint press conference in Tokyo yesterday, Microsoft Chairman Bill
Gates and Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida pledged for their companies
to work together to produce the interactive layer of HD DVD, called iHD,
as well as to "investigate development" of Toshiba producing HD DVD
players supporting Windows CE. Afterward, Gates reportedly expressed his
company's interest in the future production of an Xbox 360 game console
that includes an HD DVD drive. But Gates stopped short of committing
Microsoft resources or support for the HD DVD format explicitly; and in a
press release, Nishida only characterized their partnership as "extending
the scope of our relations to encompass HD DVD."
But although Microsoft may not be officially "behind" the HD DVD format,
it may have done just enough to shift the balance of power in its battle
with Sony's Blu-ray, which is expected to play a role in a future edition
of Sony PlayStation 3, most likely in its premiere release, which Tom's
Hardware Guide experts predict will be May 2006. Xbox 360 is due for
release in November of this year, probably well before HD DVD drives are
ready for wide release, and certainly before game manufacturers have had a
chance to create compatible content for the format.
Nonetheless, since both competing formats are awaiting the official
blessing of support from the major movie studios--whose vote of confidence
was critical to the finalization of the DVD and DVD-ROM formats a decade
ago--it now appears possible that studios may wait for the next-generation
gaming consoles to battle it out amongst themselves, armed with the latest
HD videodisc drives, and let the market decide the most suitable
format--albeit not their native market.

(etc.)

"If you can move the game console out of the kid's bedroom and into the
living room," added Scherf, "then obviously your chances are greater that
it's going to serve more of a primary role as your video player, too."

(etc.)

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |