[opendtv] Re: What FiOS will offer

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:36:17 -0800 (PST)

1. FIOS website currently offers 15 Mbps download for about the same price as
what i'm currently paying for 5 Mbps via RoadRunner.

  2. HD video via MPEG4 ony requires 8-12 Mbps.

  Putting 1 and 2 together means HD Video can enter you home without going
through a corporate gatekeeper (i.e. D*, E*,Cable or even IPTV).

  That is the basic enabling technology (plus faster Internet), which will
facilitate the next step beyond ala carte channels.....ala carte programs.
  DCAS (or equivalent) can take care of security....although there are probably
many programs that wouldn't care...
                <holl_ands>

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> Or maybe it's the DIVERSION: which will be replaced by
> the ULTIMATE SOLUTION--NO MORE LOCAL CABLE FRANCHISES....
>
> Now THAT is something I look forward to---I'm more than
> ready for FiOS in every home.....which means that ANYBODY,
> WORLDWIDE can provide HI-DEF programs via the Internet.

Whew, that's a leap of faith. I don't think FiOS claims to
offer any such thing. More choice than cable maybe, but
worldwide HDTV programming? Don't think so, unless they
happen to include a few such streams in their still-walled
garden. Do you have anything from Verizon or SBC to support
this notion? I'd read the fine print carefully. The trade
press has been spreading these inaccuracies for a long time
now.

It's very unlikely that a service provider, even FiOS,
would permit just any ole customer to become the source
of multiple real-time HDTV streams.

On the other hand, if the worldwide HDTV programming you
mention is just offered as non-real-time Internet downloads,
then sure, FiOS, or cable systems with broadband Internet
access, or even ADSL service from your telco could, in
principle, support that. All you need for that is a fast
enough link to make HDTV downloads reasonably short.