[opendtv] Re: WTF is... H.265 aka HEVC?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:58:06 +0000

TLM posted:

> Good write-up:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/11/feature_wtf_is_h265_hevc/

The new information that was most interesting to me, in this article, was that
it takes 2X to 3X the computing power to decode H/265, and 10X more power to
encode it. When H.264 came out, requiring similar extra oomph compared with
H.263, my PCs of the time did not cope very well. Chronically jerky video.

So I ask again, will today's typical quad-core PCs be up to the decode at
least? The article claims that multi-core GPUs are a better bet for H.265 than
a simple increase in processor GHz, because the decode is amenable to parallel
processing.

For sure, since people will want H.265 for their own videos, this will generate
a whole new push for higher speeds in PCs, smartphones, and tablets, even if
decoding takes less of an effort. The world has changed in this regard. I don't
see as much of an advantage in cheap decode and expensive encode anymore, as
there once was, perhaps.