[opendtv] Re: Viewers File Suit Over Bundling

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:10:10 -0400

At 9:57 AM -0700 9/25/07, johnwillkie wrote:
Most of the defendants named have little or nothing to do with cable
distribution: they're suing the contracts between the programmers and the
distros.  Not being a party to the contract, they need to attack it on
"public policy" grounds, but all the public policies are against them.

They are going after the real problem. As I said in other recent messages, the distributors are merely the billing and customer service department for the media oligopolists.

You are correct that it would be useless to to attack this via the politicians - these are the guys and gals who created the problem and benefit from the current system.

The courts are the only avenue left to consumers, who are not willing to give up their content fix to teach the content oligopoly that the marketplace CAN work.

We will see what happens. If they picked the right venue for their suit they stand a good change of getting a ruling in their favor. But it could get sticky on appeal.

P.S. In the end it may not matter as technology has a way of bypassing the toll booths that oligopolies erect.