[opendtv] Re: Variety.com: Comcast Offers HBO Without Other Cable Channels in Bundle Aimed at Cord-Cutters and Cord-Nevers

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:40:02 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So the question is, can they keep people in a garden that has no
> walls?
>
> Apparently, the answer for now is a resounding yes.

What a scream. Exactly, Craig! A garden without walls. In fact, ANY NUMBER of
gardens available to the consumer, each one without walls, each one available
no matter where you live. The medium is neutral, hence the equation is
completely different.

> Even the DBS systems can play this game - buy the bundle and you
> can access the content anywhere, anytime if you have an Internet
> connection.

Making the satellite inconsequential. In essence, the DBS companies become
precisely what I've been describing: nothing more than another web TV portal.
(On the other hand, they COULD repurpose their satellites to optimize the
bandwidth for satellite broadband, and that would be a completely orthogonal
discussion.)

> Your arguments are based on a false premise. That the content
> owners will cut out the bundlers.

Aaargh! Content owners RECONSIDER, reformulate, yes, even offer their content
unbundled PERHAPS. I keep showing you articles that show content owners
discussing these options. Do you really still not get it? HBO unbundled, can
you wrap your head around that?

> Comcast has more broadband customers than cable customers.

Maybe you're getting a hint of why Bewkes might want HBO to be more competitive
against Netflix. Put yourself in the place of a content owner like Bewkes. He
sees more and more MVPD customers no longer capable of accessing HBO content,
because they have opted out of that old MVPD model. BECAUSE these customeres
have other portals that suit their wants. What's Bewkes going to do? Stay
stubbornly married to his old faithful MVPD bundles? Or explore new
alternatives?

You *need* to get past the walled garden mentality, Craig. The false premise is
yours, Craig.