[opendtv] UTV Bono ATSC STB/slingbox/appletv clone

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:45:41 -0700

In my quest for a cheap appletv at NAB I stumbled on the UTV Bono, the
appletv slayer:

http://www.ubicod.com/sub02_1_utvbono.html

Long and short
- H264 and MPEG4 decode up to 720p
- Acts as a slingbox - encodes and/or streams to MPEG4 ASP
- ATSC tuner
- Plays media directly from windows shares on the network
- Onboard storage
- LAN port, HDMI, component, svideo, USB2, even a mini-usb port for a
digital camera...

The model without storage has a list price of $160 (or so their
marketing weenies told me).

I played with the box and the UI and responsiveness was really decent
(transparent overlays on the video, popup dialog boxes etc.).

Has anyone obtained one of these?

Cheers
Kon