[opendtv] Translators and low power Transmitters

  • From: Larry Bloomfield <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:24:47 -0400

Hi all:

I'm on the board of directors and on the technical committee for West Lane Translators (WLT). This is a not-for-profit organization that holds four licenses for translators/transmitters that serve my home community of Florence, OR The four licenses bring the ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC affiliates in Eugene, OR into our community of Florence. We have construction permits that have been extended once (six months) and are now due to expire on October 6th - less than a month from now. These CPs are for digital transmitters that will move us from out-of-core analog frequencies to in-core frequencies. You can see info about WLT at www.W-L-T.org.

These "translators" are in-truth transmitters that are fed via microwave. Although the CPs authorize us an ERP of 15,000 Watts, studies have shown that 2.5 KW ERP is more than adequate to serve our community. The tech committee is of the opinion that four transmitters with 250 Watts out put power into an antenna with sufficient gain will give us that ERP. None of this is the problem we are faced with.

The reason for our first extension in April was we were awaiting to take title to a tower, the construction of which is now completed at our transmitter site. This is new tower will increase the height of our current antennas on our older tower from 140 feet to 240 feet on our new tower. The site is located on a hill just south of town.

The second reason for the delay is that we have been attempting ,and have just now completed, negations with a bank for a $80,000 loan to purchase the new transmitters ($20,000 for each of four). Those funds should be available this week. Since the city of Florence is less than nine thousand in population, I believe we qualify for the reimbursement program from NTIA that would pay off that loan.

The problem we are faced with is: Whose 250 Watt transmitters should we purchase?

The board of directors is kind of leaving that to the technical committee which is comprised of myself and the chief engineers of the 4 Eugene TV stations and the CE of an FM radio station that has a translator for his FM in our building. Obviously each of these four TV CEs have their own ideas on what we should have.

Under consideration are (alphabetically): Axcera, Emcee, Larcan, Linear and Pineapple. Since Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) has gone with Emcee, there is a lot of opinion to go that way too, but I have serious reservations based on input I've gotten from a number of sources while asking these same questions at each of the 46 venues I presented at on the Taste of NAB Road Show where they have digital low power transmitters and/or translators.

We need a company who can deliver four 250 watt transmitters to us in time to get them on the air by October 6th and hopefully get the redundant power supplies, stringent mask filters on the outputs and all the other features all of us on the tech committee want. At this time, getting these transmitters on the air by 10/6/09 is of prime importance. The final configuration will be to combine these four with OPB's transmitter into a common antenna at the top of the new 240 ft. tower, but I believe if we can just get them on the air even without the combiner at this time, would work for us, saving the CP and we can sort the combiner and other issues out later.

I'd like input on or off this list.

Thanks
--

*Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC*