[opendtv] 'TiVo' for Your Radio

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:13:01 -0400

October 6, 2004

'TiVo' for Your Radio

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

TiVo, the digital recorder for television, has become such a cult
item that folks use it as a verb -- "I'll have to TiVo the Red Sox
game on Tuesday." Its fans predict it will replace the VCR as a way
to do video "time-shifting" -- to record a TV show so you can watch
it at a more convenient time.

But what about radio? Is there a way to time-shift radio? This week,
my assistant Katie Boehret and I reviewed a new device that aims to
do just that. It's the radioShark, from Griffin Technology, and it
acts as a sort of TiVo for radio.

The $70 radioShark, so named because it looks like a shark's fin,
attaches to your PC or Mac via the USB port and enables your computer
to play live AM or FM radio using radioShark software. Like a TiVo,
radioShark allows you to pause, rewind or fast-forward live
programming.

But the best part is that you can record songs or talk radio from
this live feed. You can play your recordings back within the
radioShark software, or send those recordings straight to a play list
on Apple's iTunes music software. From there, you can even transfer
the recordings to an iPod.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20041006.html