[opendtv] TiVo: It's About Time

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:22:49 -0400

News Analysis

TiVo: It's About Time

Thanks to the Digital Video Recorder, viewers can watch their
favorite shows in almost half the time. But will "speed viewing"
become a national trend? And, if so, should network programmers
reduce the length of their shows?

By Phillip Swann

Washington, DC (April 14) -- I just watched 60 Minutes in 42 minutes.
Earlier today, I watched the 90-minute SportsCenter on ESPN in 70
minutes. And last night, I watched a 30-minute episode of Malcolm in
the Middle in 22 minutes.

Have I invented a new time machine that can slow down the clock?
Well, not quite. But one could argue that TiVo, and other Digital
Video Recorder services, have. With a DVR, you can watch a recorded
show in nearly half the time by fast-forwarding through the
commercials and other "extraneous"material such as the credits.

Here's how it works: Let's say you recorded 60 Minutes on Sunday
night. When you sit down to watch the recorded version, you simply
hit the Fast-Forward button on your DVR whenever a commercial break
begins. The DVR's Fast-Forward feature is so fast that you can sail
past two minutes of commercials in 3-4 seconds. (EchoStar, the
satellite TV service, actually has a convenient 30-second skip
button.)

Then, when the commercials are over, you hit the play button and
continue to watch. By eliminating the commercials, you can reduce the
program's time by 25-30 percent. If you also use the Fast-Forward
button to eliminate other material, such as the credits or opening
theme songs, the percentage jumps to 35-40 percent or more.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tivo041404.html