[opendtv] Re: The video at http://www.intellectuk.org/future-of-digital-entertainment-2011-speakers/6 789

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:42:26 -0500

At 8:04 AM -0800 1/5/13, TLM wrote:
I think that the video clip at <http://www.intellectuk.org/future-of-digital-entertainment-2011-speakers/6789>http://www.intellectuk.org/future-of-digital-entertainment-2011-speakers/6789 raises some very interesting points.

I think you can see it as well by going to: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S-oUuN-w5d0>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S-oUuN-w5d0

Probably worth going full screen.

Thoughts?

So, according to Eric Huggers, Intel must have been in the room when Apple's Steve Jobs "cracked the code" for TV. And further, Intel is about to transform the living room in much the same way he describes how Apple (and Google) have transformed the mobile world.

Seriously?

Microsoft tried and failed to buy its way into the MVPD business with a more cable Set Top Box. Might as well have been called Zune TV...

To be fair, the X-Box is making a bit of headway in this area, leveraging the X-Box ecosystem.

Can Intel leverage its low end processors to do what Microsoft was unable to do? Perhaps we are about to find out.

The first thing I thought of was how similar Huggers' keynote was to many of the keynotes I heard in the '90s, and many of the articles I published when I was naive enough to believe that technology can trump politics to bring about fundamental changes in the TV industry.

Sure, the terminology has evolved.

We now talk about the social networking piece of the puzzle; but in the early '90s we used the most powerful social network ever to exist - e-mail - to connect the dots and tell the world where all of this was headed.

We now talk about The Cloud, as being the ultimate solution. Back in the '90s we talked about a few gigantic servers buried deep under a mountain, delivering content to the masses. We also talked about the architectural advantages of putting the servers close to the edge of the network; no surprise that the servers behind the cloud are widely distributed among server farms operated by MANY industry players.

And we still talk about how people are going to interact with the TV in the living room. Arcane TV remotes, Wireless keyboards and mice, simple point and click menu driven GUIs...

I found it very interesting that Hugger completely glossed over what is probably the most important aspect of the desired transformation of TV... the human interface and how it ties all of the devices we now take for granted together. I suspect that Tom was paying attention, and that Huggers did not provide any answers for his recent questions regarding how to make the TV in his living room work with the server upstairs.

Hugger was right to include the social networking component into his overview of the problem. But he completely missed the most important part.

The company that transforms the TV, will understand that the living room this is the primary venue for social interaction using the big screen. A major component of this "system" will be all of the hand held devices that viewers will use to interact with each other on that big screen, be it for playing games, web searches to settle arguments, controlling the home environment, planning the next family vacation, or discovering content.

We can only hope that Intel will succeed in convincing Comcast to allow access to the MVPD walled garden so we can learn a bit more about what the future will look like.

I'm not holding my breath that Intel can succeed where Apple fears to tread.