[opendtv] The drive's on for digital radio

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:38:21 -0500

The drive's on for digital radio

By Bill Griffith  |  November 14, 2004

Outside of replacing tubes with transistors, it's the first major
improvement in radio as we know it in 80 years.

High-definition radio is a technology that sneaked up on us. But it's
about to go mainstream.

An HD radio broadcast offers CD-quality sound on the FM band and
brings FM stereo-quality sound to the AM band.

But the programming is exactly what we're used to getting for free,
with commercials paying the freight.

At WBZ in Boston, where the broadcast end of the technology has been
up and running for a year, engineering manager Mark Manuelian said
the sound quality is remarkable.

http://www.boston.com/cars/articles/2004/11/14/the_drives_on_for_digital_radio/