[opendtv] Re: The case against Thunderbolt

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:15:56 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Simply put, Thunderbolt "is a mistake," said one big Intel customer.
>
> This point of view is not surprising for several reasons:
>
> 1. The PC market is now spiraling down around cheap commodity implementations.
> These machines do not need the performance of Thunderbolt, or even USB 3.0
> for that matter.

> The PC is primarily focused on legacy applications. Not much innovation here,
> which is why there is so much attention to mobile devices - i.e. smartphones
> and tablets.

Nonsense, Craig.

The difference is that the PC is a generic business/industrial platform, as
well as a household appliance. The PC is not mainly a fashionable toy with
deliberately short life span. Any new and incompatible interface becomes a
nuisance in many PC applications, whereas in devices that are expected to
become refuse within a couple of years, the fancy new and incompatible
interface is a plus.

I know that trade journalists have been throwing about the term "post PC
world." But like most of these glib phrases, it doesn't make any sense. PCs are
becoming embedded into just about anything. They aren't going away anytime soon.

> The markets for Macbook Pro are driven by performance and the "elegance" of
> the design.

The accent is on fashion statement, we agree. That's key to understanding why
the "big Intel customer" quoted in the article might have been put off by this
hyped up new feature.