[opendtv] Re: The Hollywood Reporter: Charter CEO: HBO, CBS Web Services Provide Opportunity for Pay TV Companies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 00:20:55 +0000

Craig wrote:

> Actually declining among Millenials. Please look at the chart on page 17
> of this PDF.
>
> https://www.barkleyus.com/AmericanMillennials.pdf

I thought this was a well done presentation, btw.

I think you misread Slide 17, Craig. Here is what is says:

"Matthew's experience shows that Millennials still watch live television, but
much less often than non-Millennials. Matthew considers the actual television
set to be but one of a variety of options for obtaining television programming.
If he misses a favorite show, he'll watch it recorded on the DVR, streaming to
his computer or on-demand."

I think the words say that Millennials watch "the television set for viewing
live streams" less than older generations do. The emphasis in that text is in
the different media and hardware millennials use, to watch TV content. And in
any case, even if they watch less TV even when adding up non-TV viewing of TV
content, because they have so many other video choices, what it shows is that
millennials can't be corralled. Not exactly something that would keep the
content owners stubbornly stuck to their "bundle," eh?

> Of course. They are doing what I said: trying to find new ways to
> attract customers they have lost over the years. This DOES NOT mean
> they are giving up on the existing business model...

BS. When HBO, Showtime, and the sports leagues, decide to circumvent the old
model and go direct to consumer, they might not be "giving up" the old model
completely, today, but they most certainly circumventing it. E.g., in the old
model, to get HBO, you had comply with the mandates of the monopolistic medium
that transmitted it. That's part of the old model. When the likes of Leslie
Moonves say that they "don't want to be beholden to anyone," what does that
mean to you, Craig?

> real ala carte is nowhere in site

HBO or Showtime without MVPD subscription is not a la carte? Viewing NBA, NFL,
MLS, NBA, without MVPD subscription, is not a la carte? Anything that used to
be the exclusive province of walled gardens, which is now provided unwalled,
would be examples of a la carte. You continue to claim that more is being
walled in, and yet the opposite is the case.