[opendtv] The ExtremeTech Guide to Buying HDTV

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:19:00 -0400

April 28, 2004
The ExtremeTech Guide to Buying HDTV
By  Loyd Case

Buying a digital capable television is an exercise in frustration and
anxiety. It's not unlike Alice's trip through the looking glass,
surreal and inviting, with promises of digital nirvana and dead-end
traps for the unwary consumer. This guide should help you cut through
the confusing jargon and conflicting claims.

What this guide is:

* A first step to understanding HDTV-- as it is presented to the consumer.
* A glossary of terms, defined in a way that's actually comprehensible.
* A high-level overview of HDTV display technologies.

What this guide is not :

* A guide to what technologies offer the best image quality. We'll
touch on image quality issues, but your eyeball will be the primary
judge.
* A guide as to where to find HDTV source material and services.
However, since the HDTV delivery vehicle may affect your choice of
displays, we'll give you a brief overview of the main types of HDTV
signal sources.
* An in-depth primer on the ATSC (Advanced Television Standards
Committee) standard for HDTV.

With these thoughts in mind, let's move forward.