[opendtv] Re: The 2013 Best of CES Awards: CNET's story

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:30:12 -0600

Monty Solomon wrote:

> The true story of what happened before last week's Best of CES
> Awards unveiling
> by Lindsey Turrentine
> January 14, 2013
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30677_3-57563877-244/the-2013-best-of-ces-awards-cnets-story/

The most fundamental problem here being, CNET, supposedly an unbiased critic,
is owned by one of the industries it is supposed to be reporting on.

A secondary issue is that apparently the CNET reporters didn't know about the
lawsuit, CBS vs DISH, for their ad-skipping box.

Seems to me that the outcome, i.e. everyone knowing that CNET's intention was
to give the award to DISH, and that CNET's parent company forced them to
disqualify DISH, is the best of all possible outcomes, given CNET's unfortunate
position of being owned by CBS. If the reporters had previously known about the
lawsuit or about CBS's displeasure with their votes, perhaps they would have
been unable to get their story out. This way, they could plead ignorance as to
the lawsuit, and their decision is known to everyone.

So quite honestly, CNET reporters shouldn't be so upset about this one specific
issue. Although the built-in conflict of interest won't go away anytime soon
(and presumably the reporters knew about it when they signed on?).

On the other hand, I don't necessarily agree with CNET's choice, especially
when dealing with "prime time anytime" of content from the major broadcast
networks. For reasons already expressed - the networks already offer that via
their web sites. I also don't think it makes a lot of sense for PVRs to
completely skip ads, when it comes to ad-supported material. What's wrong with
a FF compromise?

Put it this way. DISH gets paid by the subscription, right? They probably even
rake in a monthly ransom for their PVR. So they're set. However, to help make
their box more appealing, and establish for themselves a greater monthly
revenue, they eliminate all or a good chunk of the "payment" to the content
owners.

Who are the good guys here?