[opendtv] Re: Tech Dirt: Nielsen Finally Realizes That TV Viewers Are Cord Cutting

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:22:35 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Clearly the technology caught the music oligopoly napping, and
> forced them to get rid of "bundling" of music into LPs and CDs.
> But the tables have turned. They make good money from iTunes
> and other online music stores, and all of the streaming music
> services are paying royalties;

That's the point. One way or another, technology changes, and business models
have to follow suit. You can't expect to stay stuck with the old business
model, in this discussion that being MVPDs, when the world moves on.

>> So there's one possibility, perhaps. Retain that "local
>> broadcaster" role as the distributor of content, plus the local
>> ad and news/weather breaks threaded in, only now they make this
>> available to the ISPs. Maybe a network of servers in the various
>> ISP nets of a market, to get the servers close to the edge of
>> these nets. Problem is, they would have to make this shift
>> aggressively, or others will take on that role. If they have not
>> already?
>
> There is NOTHING to prevent broadcasters from doing this NOW.

Apparently, the congloms won't let them stream their content. Broadcasters are
ALREADY online with their own stuff, Craig. But clearly, as has always been the
case, local content is a tiny fraction of what that local broadcaster is
distributing.

There's also an irony here. You and other pundits are making such a big deal
about live streaming over the Internet, as if that's the trump card. No way
will they allow live streams without that anachronistic MVPD subscription.

Since when have we gone back to by-appointment TV?

Sometimes, I'm convinced that pundits mostly want to hear their own voice.