[opendtv] Re: TV tablets will see major growth, says Ericsson

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 08:10:44 -0400

At 6:07 PM -0400 8/28/10, Tom Barry wrote:
I think the important thing in all this is that any of these new
features can be added at marginal cost to a device that almost anyone
may be already carrying around these days.  Adding the ability to video
conference, play movies or games, control your TV viewing, or just carry
lots of data around.  Once you are carrying a smart phone and have paid
for the small computer, human interface, and battery then the other
features may be added easily without adding bulk or much cost.  Your
phone is an always on computer.  The rest is software free (in
manufacturing cost) to replicate.

Good analysis Tom.

And it is interesting to see how the market is opening up as "it's only software" becomes the new mantra of the App generation; rather than building walls around brands, it is encouraging interoperability. In order for things like multi-player games to develop into a huge market, it will be necessary to publish open protocols and for developers to support all of the popular devices.

I doubt even Apple can force the requirement than only iOS devices can be used to control what is going to happen on the big screen.

Wireless bandwidth is still a bit constrained but most of the rest of
the package is becoming almost free to produce.  Many won't like that.

We just dropped our unlimited data plans for the four iPhones on our family plan. I looked at our actual usage and saw that the $15/mo 200MB plan was more than adequate for each of our needs. I looked at how we were doing four days after making the change and was amazed to see both my son and daughter burning up data. My son decided to update all of his apps while he was not at home or work, where the phone uses WiFi; he quickly learned that it is both faster and cheaper to do this when he has access to WiFi. My daughter decided to jailbreak her 3G to see "what else" it could do. After her initial excitement, and seeing that some of the jailbreak apps were power hogs, she restored the phone to the latest version of iOS. In the process she turned off WiFI. When I told her she used 40 MB of data in a week she discovered that WiFI was off and that she had been using the 3G network at home.

Consumer can do a lot to conserve wireless bandwidth.

As I said previously, I would like to see more unlicensed spectrum that can act as a bridge to wired networks. This would likely result in a very dense mesh of access points and could help reduce the strain on the cellular data networks.