[opendtv] Re: TV Rules, New Nielsen Study Shows

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:29:55 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Two observations:
>
> 1. As with all demographic groups, there is a
> significant amount of "viewing time" when the
> TV is turned on as "background noise.

Granted, as with all demographic groups. But thank heavens for that. I'd hate
to think that Americans actually WATCH between 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 hours of TV each
day. That would really be tragic.

> 2. The younger demographics are the most adept
> at commercial avoidance. As an example, my
> daughter and her boyfriend routinely record
> shows to their DVR so that they can skip the
> commercials. Ironically, it is more difficult
> to avoid commercials when viewing programs via
> the Internet, but mercifully, there are less
> commercials.

Same here. And I too have been watching just about everything via a recording
device, literally for decades. But that is something that advertizers have to
adjust themselves to. One example of this is the one you mention: fewer and
shorter ads when viewed as streaming media over the Internet, and Fox seems to
be experimenting with that formula even over OTA or cable broadcast TV. The
advertizer would pay more per unit time for the likelihood that his ad will get
watched more. Another possibility are ads designed for the FF remote button.
Either the name of the product is still clear when the ad is viewed in FF, or
there's something in the ad that makes the viewer want to slow down and play it
again. As I have done many times.

> While studies like this are interesting, one
> must ask a simple question:
>
> Why is there such a huge effort to produce
> studies that tell us that TV watching is at
> an all time high?

What's wrong with stating the truth (assuming it is the truth), instead of
hyping up untruths? The converse of your question is, why is there such an
effort to pretend that broadcast TV is dying, when any idiot can see that
people are watching it now as much as they ever have? The fact that kids are
constantly fussing with their cell phones, iPhones, and iPods is obvious.
However, that they do throughout the day, in class even, on public
transportation, in restaurants, and so on, and does not necessarily detract
from TV watching. It's just a different activity. My guess is, for example,
those portable devices are eating into physical activity periods a lot more
than other vegetative activities such as TV watching. Which could explain in
part the obesity epidemic among that age group.