[opendtv] Sub UWB

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:07:23 -0400

Anyone know about this?

Using FM, TV stations for wireless broadband  delivery?
A new communications tool that can use FM or TV stations' signals could
enable broadband internet services for on-the-go wireless devices or
hook-up homes that cannot yet get broadband web access. xG Technology,
LLC, moved its  spectrum sharing technology out of the lab and into the
field in May,  successfully conducting its first long-range wireless
tests of xMax - an (RF)  signaling technique that represents a new
approach to the problem of spectrum overcrowding. Using a VHF paging
channel and negligible power in adjacent  sidebands, an xMax transmitter
and receiver pair with ground level antennas  delivered data to the xMax
receiver over a mile away.

RBR/TVBR asked xG Exec. Chairman Rick Mooers if an FM station could host
such a service (The founder is Joe Bobier). "As a physical-layer
technology, it's going to work on any technology. We know that the sweet
spot for this technology  is in the sub-gigahertz, given the better
propagation characteristics. Given the  FM channels are in the VHF area,
this will be especially well suited for it.  Given the lower frequency
and the better propagation characteristics, the impact  is that your
cost of deploying a wireless network is going to be 30 to 50 times  less
than others because we're not dealing in the microwave area of the
spectrum."

Are you talking to broadcasters about using this system over their
stations?  "We are looking at a number of things. We've been very low
profile until just recently. We are just a couple of months away from
putting up a base station that will cover all of Ft. Lauderdale and
Miami with just one."
But how will users be able to send a return data path to that one base
station from their homes?

"If you boil right down to the uniqueness of the technology, it's like a
whisper out there. It's 100,000 times below the noise floor, way below
anything
required by the FCC. How is the receiver so sensitive to detect it? That
goes right to the heart of the proprietary "secret sauce." It doesn't
have the
limitations of regular wireless transmissions with uploads and
downloads. We're sort of a hybrid of ultra-wideband and narrowband
technology. Literally, we could do this with a pico-watt if we wanted
to. Think of the ramifications of your cell phone battery life and talk
time at that power."
So if an FM station has, say an available subcarrier channel open, could
this work over it for a metro area?

"That is correct. We're getting a lot of inquiries from a variety of
companies, but today were just collecting names."

Transmitting at .0005 Watts, xMax was able to demonstrate range orders
of magnitude farther than other broadband technologies such as Wi-Fi. By
comparison, typical performance of a Wi-Fi 802.11 hotspot at 1 Watt (or
2,000  times more power than xMax) using ground level antennas is
approximately 300ft  For more info,  http://www.xgtechnology.com/