[opendtv] Re: Streamingmedia.com: The State of OTT 2014

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 04:04:59 -0500

On Nov 4, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Craig, I'm just trying to point out, as I have said many times already, that
> when you "dig in" as you are doing now, you end up with egg on your face.

Works both ways. We could both make an omelette...

> I can certainly go back to your equally inflexible, stubborn opinions about
> HDTV being a niche product, in spite of literally everyone pointing out that
> it wouldn't be for long, and that it wasn't designed to be niche, and I can
> Or about screen aspect ratios. Or any number of other subjects. For some
> reason, you cannot get beyond what was true in the past, until way past the
> time when the change became fact.

Many of my positions were about timing, not the ultimate outcome. And in each
case I was right, EXCEPT for the cost of ATSC tuners.

It took more than a decade for broadcasters to embrace HDTV, except for
programs already being shot on film, which were already HD in terms of the
source resolution.

Hollywood rejected 16:9. They continue to use many wide screen aspect ratios
and to letterbox on 16:9 screens. The Internet is aspect ratio agnostic. Only
broadcasters support 16:9, just as they supported 4:3 for decades.

I was right about progressive scan and the need for extensibility as well. As I
predicted, we are now looking at a completely new, not backward compatible ATSC
broadcast standard, because ATSC 1.0 was so poorly designed.