[opendtv] Re: Storage

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:11:43 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Two OTA channels could challenge cable and satellite.
> More OTA channels could obliterate cable, satellite,
> satellite radio and current OTA broadcasters or radically
> change their business plans.
>
> This article suggest that the storage part of our
> business plan is almost here.
>
> "A thumb drive using our memory could store a terabyte of
> information," says Michael Kozicki, director of ASU's
> Center for Applied Nanoionics, which developed the
> technology. "All the current limitations in portable
> electronic storage could go away. You could record video
> of every event in your life and store it."
>
> http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2007/10/ion_memory
>
> With the rapid advance in technology we are witnessing it
> makes less and less sense for the US to stay the course
> with our garbage 8-VSB modulation and I predict once again
> that we won't.

Seems like a non-sequitur.

The storage question is one thing. As to modulation, whatever you want
to use will have to make very efficient use of spectrum, in terms of
b/s/Hz. And, simultaneously, robust enough to be useful. That's going to
be imperative if you expect two OTA channels to challenge anything. I'm
assuming these to be two 6 to 8 MHz wide OTA channels, not two 20 MHz
wide as you might get with WiFi or WiMAX, right?

So just what do you suggest, and why?