[opendtv] Steve Capus & NBC News Have No Shame

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:14:17 -0700

Last week's brouhaha was Don Imus, whose sexist and intemperate remarks (it's
not racist to call somebody nappy-haired, or a whole lot of black folk in my
high school were guilty of racism during the early 1970's) being dropped by NBC
News, and once that shoe dropped, being dumped by CBS.

These were the actions of cowards who dropped a money maker when the tide
turned commerically, even though they tried to spin their actions as
magnamious.  The fact pattern belies that: if they were magnamious, NBC would
have dropped the show during the broadcast, and Don Imus would have been fired
during his shift, the standard practice when you realize you've put an asshole
on the air.

I watched Steve Capus, NBC News president, looking at his shoes as he was being
interviewed by brave Keith Olbermann about the belated action.

Saturday Night Live got it right: "Nothing sends terror into the heart of
hip-hop artists like firing a 67-year old white guy."

Apparently, I was not the only person to realize that Steve Capus was someone
who would make an initial, idiotic decision only to try to seem brave when he
caved in.

It appears that a certain craven misfit personally sent, between killings in
Blacksburg, VA, Steve Capus an express mail package that fools that write and
read news at NBC called a 'manifesto.'  It was actually a chickenshit,
disjointed exposition of the fouled up mind that thought killing non-asians was
the answer to his life-long shyness.

NBC, rather than being a responsible news organization, decided to air much of
the content in it's Nightly News last night.  Then, to spread the blame and
shame, It did the unprecedented move (since 9/11 at least) of permitting other
news organizations to gyp some of the content, with full credit to NBC news.

NBC News should promote this in the sweeps:  "Nightly News is the favorite
newscast of mass killers.  Stay tuned after the news for the world broadcast
premiere of Oliver Stone's 'Natural Born Killers.'

NBC has relented today: they will not devote more than 10% of their newscasts
to the tape content.  Their craven, chicken-shit attitude (there are two
spellings) is only slightly abated.  That makes it so much better!

Nobody with any sense, heart or brains will ever talk to or watch NBC News.

Here's the upshot: they fired an old guy who noted that the Rutgers players had
tatoos and wild hair.  (Did you notice at their press confernece that all their
arms were covered by team jackets and each had their hair done since the final
game?)  However, they aired the wild, unfocused rantings of a mass killer,
including those where he blamed society at large for his shortcomings.

I'd say that NBC News should be ashamed, but it's clear that they have no
shame.  They aired for years, and featured their reporters, on a radio show
hosted by a racially-insensitive host who hired one sidekick to provide
"nigger" jokes.

I'm aghast about the next deranged killer that will now copy the actions of the
unnamed (by me) misfit in Blacksburg.

Here's the way we fix this.  A federal law needs to be passed that requires any
network AND local station that airs any audiovisual content by a person during
or fater the commission of a crime (except police interviews) or that alludes
to a crime to be commited, incurs a federal tax of $10,000,000 per second that
the content is aired or shown.  In additition, the Federal Rules of Civil
Procedure needs to be ameneded to create a federal cause of action against such
airing, with vicitims and their families having the right to sue the network
and stations that airs such content, with the penalty limited to no more than
3x the annual revenue of the broadcast organizations that air the content, plus
court costs and attorney's fees. This rule needs to also apply to cable
television.

And, while we're at ti, make any organization that airs such content by a
criminal susceptible to being charged as an accessory after the fact, with the
president of the network, station and news division liable for arrest.  Perhaps
it should be a capital crime for the broadcast organization and the individuals
who aired the content.  This should include the director, td, engineers and
those in the news decision-making process.

Nothing in this restricts the freedom of the press.  It just establishes the
fee for colluding with criminals.  And, like the commercially-influenced firing
of Don Imus, they will arive at the correct result.  Or else.