[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Crisis is 'Science Fiction,' NAB's Study Concludes

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:02:38 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Deborah McAdams writes:
> He also points out that voice calls could be more efficiently handled
> as packet-based Internet Protocol rather than circuit-switched traffic.
> Offloading mobile Internet traffic to Wi-Fi fixed locations is also
> expected to rise, and therefore increase capacity. Onyeije quotes
> American Tower Corp. chief James Taiclet as saying the company's 38,000
> tower sites are at about 50 percent capacity.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Sounds familiar, doesn't it Bert?
>
> This is exactly the argument I made over the weekend that you rejected.

Nope, sorry. You had confused WiFi with femtocells, and that's what I rejected.

Obviously, converting all cellular voice to VoIP can help make better use of
the existing 3G networks, with or without WiFi. If the cellcos would cease all
of their 2G service, as they ceased all of their AMPS service in 2008, they
could eke out more efficiency from their available spectrum. Mainly because
circuit-switched voice has now become a smaller fraction of cellular usage than
data. Much the same as what happened to the major cabled trunk lines, years ago
now.

And by the way, no need to buy into the LTE hype for this. Cellcos can convert
their 3G service to all VoIP as well.

> Thus the NAB's argument is baseless, as what Onyeije is advocating only
> solves the problem for the next 3-4 years.

That's wrong. The spectrum grab from the TV broadcasters wouldn't even solve it
for that long, and those TV frequencies are ill suited for congested area
two-comms ANYWAY. For tiny cell areas, you certainly don't want to use lower
UHF frequencies. And tiny cell coverage areas are what you MUST have solve the
wireless spectrum crunch WHERE IT ACTUALLY EXISTS.