[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Analysis

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:01:10 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

> They also want SOME high QOS level (mostly an issue of ubiquitous
> phone/calling capability) inside of ALL buildings. TADA! UHF!

Ugh. So they get inside buildings with outdoor cells, large outdoor cells to
boot, which will therefore not support many users. Exactly where you want a lot
of coverage density, and high bandwidth. That's where people are most busy
watching videos, in large numbers.

To get good indoor coverage, you need femtocells. Very much like WiFi hot
spots, indoors.

In office buildings, the telcos can go in and install femtocells. In homes,
they can mail people the hardware, just as they do for ADSL, and use the
subscriber's broadband service for backhaul.

And of course outdoors, small cells that certainly do not require UHF (in
urban/suburban settings).

> They want it all ways, and there has never been a negative to at
> least asking. In this case, when they asked, the answer quickly
> became "yeh, why not?".

My answer would be, because you are taking away my resource and throwing it
down the toilet. And I'm gonna get my experts over to Congress and have them
block any such attempts from you guys, tout de suite.