[opendtv] Re: Spam:Re: :Scrambled channels irk cable viewers

  • From: "Gary Hughes" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:41:58 -0400

The Cable Television Division of the Mass. Dept of Telecommunications
and
Energy regulates rates for the basic service tier and and any equipment
required.

http://www.mass.gov/dte/catv/rates.htm

> If the basic channels are sequestered in the lower channels=20
> (a common industry practice) then the people who ran TCI and=20
> AT&T are PURE IDIOTS. (Who would have known?)  When they=20
> installed these customers, an oh-so-simple low pass filter=20
> would have prevented leakage of extended basic channels.  No=20
> additional truck roll was required:  it is generally done at=20
> the same time the cable is initially installed.  The last=20
> time I had cable installed in the U.S., I was given access to=20
> extended basic cable because the guy in the truck did not=20
> have an effective filter combination to handle low pass, plus=20
> the notch filter required to pass HBO.
>=20
For whatever reason, omitting the filters seems fairly common in this
area.

> If I'm not mistaken, cable modems use frequencies either=20
> below or above and below TV channels.
>=20
Forward (downstream) data channels are typically somewhere in the higher
frequency ranges normally used for digital services. The reverse
channels=20
are below normal TV frequencies.

gary
=20

=20
This email message and any files transmitted with it contain =
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this =
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in =
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and =
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.=20
=20