[opendtv] Re: Sony, six cable companies adopt two-way CableCARD tech

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 22:38:30 -0400

My argument with what Bill said is that I don't (personally) believe that
OCAP, exclusively, is a good idea.  I think it's going too far to say that
any CE companies affirmatively agree that OCAP exclusively is a good idea --
but that's not to say that some CE companies haven't agreed to make OCAP
products.

If Bill's vision is realized, than my stated fear (only competition among
vertical service offerings, no competition horizontally between CE companies
making receivers) is realized.  If OCAP is the only way to operate a cable,
satellite and telco receiver, than all receivers are innovation-handicapped
and handcuffed to the business interest of the operator (rather than the
consumer or the CE manufacturer).

> From what's in the article, this Sony agreement with all the cable
companies
> should not preclude Sony from also going after its own
Internet/home-recording
> EPG ideas, now or in the future. As far as I can tell.

Unable to comment.