[opendtv] Sony Fesses up about their position to local paper

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:01:56 -0700

Several months ago, I was going to call up a writer at the San Diego
Union-Tribune and complain that he had drank Sony's Kool-Aid.  He had
written an article right before The Show (NCTA) about this killer new
technology that Sony had developed, and how it would overcome the dominance
of SA and Motorola in the cable industry to become new middleware.

On what planet? I was going to ask him.  I held my tongue, since when I
pitch a possible article to the U-T on what I'm working on (and I expected
to have 'news' in a week or two) I was going to talk to him.

So, this morning, reading the U-T, I almost fell into my cereal bowl reading
this article.  It's so much different than merely claiming "Like No Other"
(also a Mercedes positioning statement.)

John Willkie
____
Company marks move to headquarters here

By Mike Freeman
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
October 16, 2004

Facing tougher competition than ever before on gadgets ranging from digital
music players to flat panel televisions, Sony executives said yesterday that
the company intends to fight back with new products and technology that
allow it to stand out from competitors.

"Sony hasn't always been first out of the block, but it always has been a
strong finisher," said Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony Corp. of
America.

Stringer, who oversees Sony's movie, music, video game and electronics
businesses in the United States, came to San Diego yesterday for a ceremony
to mark the relocation of the Sony Electronics U.S. corporate headquarters
from New Jersey to San Diego.

Along with Sony Electronics' U.S. president, Hideki "Dick" Komiyama,
Stringer later held a wide-ranging discussion with San Diego Union-Tribune
editors and reporters about the state of Sony's business in the United
States and how it has changed in the digital age.

The game plan of Sony, the inventor of wildly popular Trinitron televisions
and the Sony Walkman, has been to sell products at premium prices by adding
its own proprietary technology.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20041016-9999-1b16sony.html