[opendtv] Re: Say Yes to Undress, Then Things Get Complicated

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:43:25 -0700

Thanks, Monty, for posting that article.

This is why I don't like the bundling in MVPD services.  I really don't
want to pay for and support programming that I believe has a negative
impact on our society.  I think a_la care might help, allowing me to
purchase what I do want to watch and not what I find degrading to our
society.

I don't quite understand the argument that a la carte is not technically
possible.  Case in point, premium channels.  For me, it suggests that
bundling isn't a technological issue but rather a monetary strategy.

Unfortunately, I thought my alternative would be to forgo the MVPD (and my
favorite sports) for a subscription streaming service--in my case,
Netflix.  Alas, Netflix is now producing original material that I wouldn't
categorize as having "uplifting" values.  Yet I still subscribe for the
pleasure of commercial-free programming of what I do enjoy.  So I guess I
can't be too outspoken of my conscience objection to what is on the MVPD
services.

But now I wonder, will the same overt nudity spill over to broadcast, as
the networks, and the courts, so adamantly want?

It appears to me that there isn't much hope of keeping at least one
service that has high standards.  Obviously, the marketplace bears what
the people want.  I just wish we had options in the marketplace rather
than having to have everything in one place, thus, the need to prop up all
of it.

Dan

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 00:13:15 -0400
From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>

Say Yes to Undress, Then Things Get Complicated

Baring All on 'Dating Naked' and 'Skin Wars'

By NEIL GENZLINGER
JULY 16, 2014

In case you missed the news that traditional courtship is dead, naked
people on VH1 stand ready to enlighten you. And in case you thought
that television networks had evolved beyond trying to attract viewers
with cheesy titillation - ditto.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/arts/television/baring-all-on-dating-naked-and-skin-wars.html