[opendtv] Re: Satellite radio rivals Sirius, XM to merge

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:04:06 -0800

Not too likely, since their licenses were specifically granted on the
condition that they not merge.  Requires FCC and Department of Justice
approval; the former is unlikely, the latter possible.

Despite what they say, market conditions haven't really changed since grant.
HD Radio, and Mp3 music players already existed.

One caveat: they could claim to be "failing enterprises."

Technically, kinda interesting to see how they will combine geo-sync and
polar orbit satellites.

John Willkie