[opendtv] Re: SECAM's slow death

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:03:24 -0500

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Don't forget that NTSC is still broadcast in many countries, including Cuba (which was the world's second country with regularly scheduled color programming).

TTFN,
Mark

On 3/6/2010 4:44 PM, Olivier Houot wrote:
At my place, analog switch off will occur within less than 2.5 Months
(May 18th).

In an effort to pay hommage to the pioneers, i 've dragged out
my faithful old analog TV set (must be close to 20 years old by now)
from its dust-gathering corner and put it in front of the dinner table,
so i can watch SECAM as it was designed to be watched, while it is still
possible.

This is a brave endeavor, since the remote has been eaten alive some
years ago by leaking batteries. Furthermore, the mains switch has become
inoperative, but there are ways...

Of course, SECAM will still live in France in various regions until
November 2011.
Beyond, that, i wonder where the last transmitter will be switched off.
Perhaps some country in Africa will have the responsibility of making
SECAM vanish forever from the face of the earth. Will there be a small
ceremony for that event, or will it disappear silently?

Which of the analog standards will be the last on air? I guess PAL
stands a good chance, but who knows?

Right now in shops, i can see heaps of small FujiOnkyo TNT decoders sold
for 19.80 euros, with a poster above them reminding people of the switch
off date.

Oh well, I suppose some amateurs will recreate SECAM signals for the
purpose of reviving some old TV sets.
Perhaps some of them will even dare broadcasting it at ultra low power
and short ranges.

It appears they have already managed to produce a compliant VHF system E
signal for the purpose of feeding restored 819 lines TV sets, for
example (french site):
http://819lignes.free.fr/Regarder%20les%20programmes%20actuels%20sur%
20un%20t%E9l%E9viseur%20819%20lignes.html
They are in fact directly modulating a 185.25 MHz carrier for video and
a 174.1 MHz carrier for audio and summing them, to emulate former F8A
channel. A the end of the page, there is a link to schematics.

There is also a UK forum about those subjects:
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

With the disappearance of analog signals, discussions about the relative
merits of the different standards will become entirely theoretical (and
will be of interest only to an ever shrinking number of people, of
course). Nevertheless, it should still be possible to build a digital
simulation of encoders transmission and decoders and display all three
standards side by side, starting from a common image source.

Sigh...I guess standards, even more than civilizations, should know that
they are mortal.